For my cooking website click on the link below or go to :

www.rosiejenkins.co.uk


..

Saturday 28 July 2012

'Stream cleaning' and wild gooseberries...


As a slightly wild student I had curtains made for my car so I could sleep more peacefully in it if I had to. For one reason or another I often did. Now my car is going to be my home for a night or two once again, until I get to Jura. It’s cozy (no, really) and saves spending money on, and committing to, a junky B&B. Seats down, mattress on top, brushed cotton duvets and a silk pillow. Scented candle and curtains. There!


Beside a lane near Penrith I found a wild gooseberry bush. Great timing because it’s breakfast time and I need something green. As I crunch them (because that is exactly how to describe eating a ripe gooseberry) I wonder why on earth it’s so tricky to buy fresh and seasonal fruit and veg in roadside cafs. No wonder some lorry drivers look so unhealthy. They need to brush up on there foraging skills.


Driving through Glen Kinglas I began to feel a little uncomfortable at the thought of not having washed all day. Of course I have my Clarins laid out on the parcel shelf but I needed water, and lots of it, for a proper soak. So when I spotted a stream running down from the mountain tops I stopped.  Feeling slightly like a character from Braveheart I found a stretch concealed from the road and, well, bathed.  It was a marvel. Cold, naturally, but somehow not uncomfortably so. And afterwards you don’t just feel clean, there’s something else… softness. My skin and hair felt so soft and altogether refreshed – properly. It’s no wonder ‘soft water’ is used to describe it.
Wow, my eyes have been opened somehow. Why doesn’t everyone sleep in curtained cars and wash in mountain streams when on tour? I’m fresh scented and presentable enough to stop for an oyster or two at Loch Fyne now. Laugh. I’ll check for ticks later...

With fresh oysters and a glass of rose inside me I begin the last short leg. No doubt there are many reasons why Scotland is glorious in August. I hadn’t supposed it would be for this reason though; glen to glen sunshine. Well, that and Victor James tablet.
I’ve tuned into BBC Gaelic and grin at the DJ’s joyfully fitting tribute to the weather.
“I wanna see sunshine after the rain, I wanna see blue birds flying over the mountains again…” blares from my speakers and out of all four wide open windows down to the mill pond loch, up to the purple heathery peaks and around the radiant green green glens.

Last stop. I’ve found a perfect spot just over the head from Tayvallich where the rib’ll come and take me to Jura in the morning.  There’s a little art gallery here. I wonder over to have a look and find a man sitting on an upturned keg bottling beer. He tells me that he is founding a brewery – Tayvallich Brewery. He’s not commercial yet but hopes to be soon. He collects spring water from a burn near by and picks bog myrtle, to use rather than hops.

Uhoh, I’ve been a bit primitive girl like today haven’t I? Wild gooseberries, 'stream cleaning' (haha, the old way) and oysters. And how good were all three? Better than anything you can buy, I’d say. Seems to me the world’s a bit topsy turvey and that everything’s a bit upside down these days.

View over to Jura from my car bed - boot door wide open.
I can hear wolves, far far away over the sound. On Jura. Definatley wolves crying. Are there wolves on Jura? Uhoh. Chris Packham would be delighted. (Later on in the month I discovered the sound was in fact the mating whine of grey seals).